Monday, February 13, 2017

The Key to Relationships: Love and Validate Others

Oprah Winfrey tells us that the key to relationships is to validate others. I add: do it with love. All people have one thing in common: they all want validation. They want to know: Do you see me? Do you hear me? Does what I am saying mean anything to you? Validation means that you may tell them: I see you. I hear you. And what you say matters to me.

Validation means that you consider the other person as intelligent and attractive. And if you want to practice an upgraded validation, add this: find the other person wonderful and enchanting!

Validation may start with compliments. With showing approval. With making the other feel accepted.
To tolerate the anxiety of allowing people to disapprove of you.

Jessica Cohen suggests three important ways to provide validation:
Be physically present. When you are with someone, really be in the moment with them. Make eye contact during conversation and avoid unnecessary distractions.  Let that person know you care by giving them your full attention. Give a hug, a pat on the shoulder or hold a hand when it is needed.
Be empathetic.  When you feel sympathy for someone, you recognize their emotional response to a situation.  As Oprah stated, people simply want others to understand them.  Our innate ability to see an issue from another person’s perspective is authentic, it is real and it provides validation.
Be an active listener.  Active listening is focusing on the conversation at hand and nothing else.  It means giving the other person your full attention.  It is a sign of consideration and respect. 
Validate others, but do not try to be validated. That is freedom. Try to be self-validated. Remember the Prayer of Saint Francis: Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.

We may add: Grant that I may not so much seek to be validated as to validate!

But a friend of mine asked me: how can I validate that awful person?


The answer to this question will be in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment